1. Chef Aulie Bunyaratapan and restaurateur Mel Oursinsiri, whose Bangkok Joe’s and T. H. A. I. in Shirlington are among the area’s most successful Thai restaurants, are the talents behind this venture.
2. Oursinsiri says that he wanted Tom Yum to be the most attractive fast casual restaurant in the country. It is certainly one of the most stylish of such spots in the area. Dark and light wood walls and furnishings, dramatic drop lighting, and magenta and gold accents give it a vibrant, modern feel. There's also an arresting black and white photo montage along one wall, which features food shots specially taken for the mural in Thailand.
3. Guests choose from four bases - white or brown jasmine rice, pad thai noodles or mixed salad - and add grilled steak, shrimp, chicken or tofu, along with housemade sauces like panang curry or lemongrass ginger and unlimited toppings like Thai omelet, fried garlic and cucumber relish.
4. The open kitchen lets guests watch the chefs cook their meal in a stir-fry wok or flat grill.
5. It’s cheap! Bowls range from $6.75 to $7.95.
6. Thai beer, wine, toasted rice-flavored green tea and a specially sourced roasted-coconut juice are available along with fountain drinks and bottled Thai tea.
7.Hotheads should not miss their exclusive green Sriracha sauce or the signature Tom Yum chili paste.