4/05/2013 10:01:00 AM
The List: What to do in Istanbul
1. Midnight Express This stylish shop in the historic Bebek neighborhood is the brainchild of a husband-and-wife team, architect Tayfun Mumcu and fashion designer Banu Bora. In addition to their own work, you'll find clothes and accessories from emerging designers like 2 Ters 1 Düz and Mehry Mu.
2. Nakkas Oprah and Carolina Herrera are among the customers at this rug and textile shop in the Sultanahmet district. They also carry a collection of exquisite jewelry inspired by the artistic history of the Anatolian civilization, ceramics and antiques. If you're shopping for rugs, be sure to ask for Cengis who'll help you find the perfect one.
3. Haremlique Another favorite for home decor, Haremlique specializes in high quality linens, and you'll find incredible Egyptian cotton bedding and bath towels on the shelves here. The also offer a line of fabric and their sleepwear makes for a luxurious souvenir.
4. House Hotel Bosphorus This boutique hotel has several locations throughout the city, but their Ortakoy location housed in a landmark Simon Kalfa building is a favorite. Its interiors by design firm Autoban (their modern furniture gallery is definitely worth a look, too) give the 26-rooms here an understated glamour enhanced by private balconies overlooking the Bosphorus.
5. Vogue The panoramic views of the city make this rooftop restaurant a perfect spot for unwinding with a cocktail after a day spent exploring Istanbul (go at 6:30pm for sunset and order their meze platter for snacks).